Understanding the Facebook Culture and How Users Relate to Corporations Online
Dr. Mihaela Vorvoreanu, Twitter: prprof_mv
- Based on limited focus group research of Facebook natives
- A native is someone who was on Facebook before it was opened up to non-EDU domains
- Facebook has multiple cultures, not just one
- The natives will influence the rest of the Facebook users
- Natives don't like corps on Facebook but if they make exclusive offers to them, discounts etc their views change to positive
- Part of Facebook is self presentation, if you can do something that helps users self present you will be more successful - ex: graffiti
- Facebook is personal, natives don't understand mixing biz and personal
- Native love small biz on Facebook, they support them
- Native prefer ads to intrusive messages.
- Three ways to interact
- Conform with norms / rules
- Positive violation - this is better than conforming
- Negative violation
- Provide sense of exclusivity
- Enable relationship maintenance - between others not you, give them tools to communicate w/ other - like quirky msgs
- Enable self presentation - empower users to align with something they want to do like charity
- Keep it personal - better to have a person's name than the corp.
- Small business go for it
- Respect users space, means sometimes stay out of their conversation.
- For big corps - conform to norms